At Strathcona Nursery School we have carefully designed our program to support and enhance children’s experiences of “learning through play”. We value the importance of play because play is the children’s language, and through play they make sense of their world. Play is the children’s work. Children learn best when they are actively engaged with material that stimulates their senses. This, in turn, promotes brain development. Learning and play cannot be separated; they occur simultaneously. The child’s experience is “the learning process”. “Learning through play” enhances the growth and development of the whole child, which includes their physical, social and cognitive development.
Physical development includes large and small muscle development, and their senses: hearing, sight, taste, touch, and smell. Children benefit from being a part of a consistent play environment, where they can meet regularly with the same group and have time to develop their relationships with one another and learn about themselves.
Highlights of our program:
- Mixed age classes which allow younger siblings to participate in the same class as their older siblings.
- 2½ hour sessions that include outdoor play time, story time, free play, craft, and music time
- A nurturing, positive and respectful environment that encourages children explore and be creative
- Flexibility in session times – chose morning or afternoon sessions based on your schedule.
- Two creative and dynamic teachers that compliment one another
Strathcona Nursery School is a parent cooperative. Parent contribution, through volunteer obligations and duty parent days (*AM classes only), is mandatory and vital to the operation and health of the school.