Between a worldwide pandemic, subsequent social distancing, and lockdowns, the year 2020 was no less than a wild ride for singles around the world. Things have started to improve a little this year, with romance finding some room to bloom. New trends are emerging, though. Long-distance relationships, for instance, are going strong, as the pandemic has compelled them to set their location preferences to “anywhere.” But, experts believe that casual dating will also find its way this year, with lockdown singles coming out to pair up.
What is Casual Dating?
It is essentially a relationship type where two people date each other and spend time together without any intention of entering into a committed relationship. Casually dating a person means you are like them and want to hang out with them often but do not want a serious relationship at this point.
In most cases, there is no commitment involved, and there is no interest in establishing any meaningful relationship. Though there is a possibility to turn relationships on a casual hookup site into something serious, both partners need to work on that and communicate properly. But, in general, a casual relationship will always have a hard-and-fast boundary around the depth of emotional attachment and intimacy.
Benefits and Risks of Casual Dating
People choose to date casually for so many reasons. Some want to gain interpersonal experience without dealing with any deeper levels of commitment. Others try it until they could not find a viable long-term partner. Whatever the reason, there certainly are some benefits of dating casually. For instance:
- You bring some joy in your romantic life without any emotional baggage, and this gives you the power of positive thinking in life.
- You know you have a friend who would be willing to hang out with you in your downtime.
- You get a chance to discover more about someone in a pressure-free way.
- You can date multiple people simultaneously without hurting anyone’s emotions.
- You can use this time to determine if someone would be a good fit for a serious, long-term relationship.
- You can enjoy dating and get intimate with a person without having to share or spend your whole life with them.
Tips for Successful Casual Dating
Casual dating may or may not be the right choice for you, depending on your expectations. You should look internally to understand your dating expectations clearly. But, if you are willing to take the plunge, remember the following tips to make it a successful encounter.
- Be sure to communicate with your partner. Tell them what you want and how. Make it clear that you are not looking for any commitment. Be direct and tell them that you are only looking to have some fun and nothing more.
- Discuss everything with your partner and set boundaries in advance. Being overly reliant on someone or seeing them 3-4 times a week may indicate you have gone past the “casual” dating stage and exploring the realm of serious dating. Set boundaries, find a routine, and work as per a plan to ensure you do not end up becoming too invested in your casual hookup.
- Do not be afraid to see other people and be honest about it with your casual dating partner. They should not have an issue but address the issue upfront if they ever feel jealous about the fact.
- Do not talk about your partner on social media. You may not want to share every single moment you spend with your partner through social media. It could be misleading, not only to your family and friends but to your partner as well.
Keep these tips in mind, and be sure to continue meeting new people because it helps expand your life and make you a better person.