We’ve all seen the popular baby boxes, available to new mothers in other countries, and filled with those necessary items for the first few weeks of birth. Now, Edmonton mothers to be can sign up to get their own baby box, as part of a new initiative.
How do you get the box? Mothers and mothers-to-be with a due date between October 1, 2016 and October 1, 2017.
- Sign up for the Baby Box University and choose ‘Alberta’ from the drop down location menu
- Watch the eight videos in the series, a group of short videos for each part of the syllabus
- Complete the program and earn a certificate
- Print the certificate and choose a local pick-up station
- Enjoy your free Alberta Baby Box
Baby Boxes will be available for pick-up in Alberta starting the week of October 30th. This means that you should show up at the center closest to you with your completion certificate on or after October 30th. Call your local center in advance to ensure staff is available during your preferred time.
Videos in the series provide valuable advice for new parents, on relevant topics. The eight videos in the series include topics like: Why should I put baby to sleep on their back? How do I know if my baby is getting enough breastmilk? How can my partner bond with the baby if I am breastfeeding?, and, Is there anything I can do to help with postpartum recovery?
As you are guided through the videos, the progress bar at the top will help to determine how far you’ve gone through the program. Watching through the video, we learned a few things that we didn’t know – even after we’ve already had one child.