The Struggle is Real
Have you ever found yourself out shopping for makeup but ended up being confused about all of the different options? What is a bronzer? How do I even use makeup primer? What is the difference between a gel and a pencil? All of these questions make the world of makeup seem all the more intimidating. If you feel like this, you aren’t alone.
Prepare to be schooled on the essential makeup tips you should know as a beginner. These tools will be your friends as you venture out into the future of makeup.
Tips and Products
Complexion Based Products for Beginners:
Follow these steps to achieve a perfect complexion for beginners.
1. Primer: This can come in gels, sprays, and creams. The perfect base to apply before you apply makeup. The purpose is to make sure your makeup is applied evenly and doesn’t look cakey on your face.
2. Foundation: The purpose of foundation is to even out your complexion whilst smoothing out any imperfections visible on the face. It can come in different forms: powders, creams, or liquid. It is important that you choose a shade that is right for your skin tone and has good coverage.
3. Concealer: Concealer is used to add an extra layer of coverage to pimples, scars, or dark spots on the skin. It is good to use under your eyes in order to lighten and lift them. Depending on the look you want to achieve, your concealer choice can offer a matte or dewy finish.
4. Highlighter and Contour: These products go hand in and hand to offer a magical makeup look that can completely change your complexion. Contouring creates shadows and adds dimension; using a highlighter will enhance the various high points of your face. It can come in powder, liquid, or cream.
Eye Product Basics
This is what you need to know about the best kind of eye products to have in your collection.
1. Eyeshadow primer: This is similar to a face primer and will be applied to the skin above the eye. It is best to avoid any water or silicone-based primers as it means your eye makeup won’t last. Instead, you should opt for one that offers more of a grip. This means that your makeup will be in place all day.
2. Eyeshadow: Eyeshadow is powder that you apply to your eyelids to add a bit more pop and shine. This is where you can be creative, as it comes in many different colored powder formulas. You can experiment with shading, shimmering and more. Many beginners opt for more neutral tones to complement their eyes, but the choice is entirely yours!
3. Eyeliner: Eyeliner is used to define the eyes, enhance their shape, and create different looks. When it comes to eyeliner, you can opt for a gel, liquid, or pencil. If you are a beginner, it is recommended you try out your skills with a pencil first. It is easier to blend if mistakes happen!
4. Mascara: Mascara is used mainly to help define a person’s eyelashes. Depending on the look you are going for, you can make your lashes look thicker, longer, or darker. It is important to go for a good quality mascara in order to avoid any clumping on the eyelashes.
Lip Products for Beginners
These are the best products to apply on your lips for a beginner.
1. Lip primer: (You are probably noticing a pattern here!) Similar to a facial or eyeshadow primer, this is used to make sure the lip product stays in place. It isn’t a crucial part of a regular makeup routine but is good to remember if you are going to an event or a night on the town.
2. Lip pencil: This is used to help enhance the overall shape of your lips. You apply it lightly to the outline of your lips before applying lipstick. It is a good way of making sure that your lipstick doesn’t smudge and can help to achieve an overall fuller look on the lip.
3. Lipstick: Lipstick helps add color to your lips, which draws more attention to the mouth. Lipsticks come in various different forms, whether matte or liquid. Similar to eyeshadow, you can find any shade of lipstick you like! Nude and red lipsticks are the most common for people to wear.
4. Lip Gloss: This is the final touch to give your lips an overall glossed finish. Applying a light layer just over the lipstick gives your lips a chance to pop. You can find lip gloss in different colors, from bright to translucent.