Can you feel it? We’re getting more sunshine, more days of warmer weather and spring in Edmonton feels like it just might be here to stay. With it, are more and more events and activities that can get us outside and play.
Here are 25 Family friendly things to do in Edmonton in March:
1. Take part in the green shack program outdoors, after school where kids 6+ can take part in unparented play at Mount Pleasant Park.
2. Take part in a St. Patrick’s Day Party, a cooking class for kids through PC Cooking School. You can sign up to take part online.
3. Try Cabane a sucre or kickboarding at the I <3 Winter Festival at Alfred H. Savage Centre on March 6.
4. Get FREE Pancakes at IHOP to celebrate National Pancake Day
5. Spend the afternoon playing inside at the Tegler Discovery Zone and take part in one of the FREE indoor/outdoor drop-in sessions at John Janzen Nature Centre
6. Check out the new AllStars Playland when it opens in March. It’s set to be the biggest indoor playground in Edmonton.
7. Plan to attend the weekday high tea at Hotel Macdonald
8. Walk the Kinnaird Ravine on a warm day, or trudge through the snow and see it in a whole different light. It’s one of our favourite trails in Edmonton.
9. Take the free family class at Michaels where you can decorate an Easter canvas, all together, you just need to supply the canvas and the rest of the supplies are free.
10. Want to teach your preschool child about Seedlings, but you don’t want to make a mess at home? Check out this preschool seedling workshop at Salisbury Greenhouse.
11. Drop into one of the free weekly kids play dates at different malls around the city for a FREE and fun outing.
12. See a movie on the cheap, with the $2.99 movies on Saturday mornings at Cineplex. Make sure you’re there early to get good seats, but you can bring an entire family of five for under twenty bucks.
13. End the month with free admission to the Art Gallery on the 31st, as part of the Servus Community Access Program, where you can get free admission between 6-9.
14. Have a cat lover at home? Visit the Edmonton Cat Show (March 19/20).
15. Make plans to visit Science FunDay where there will be more than 50 hands on experiments to get your little ones (and you) interested in Science. It’s free! (March 12)
16. Join the Pancake Breakfast and Easter egg hunt at Woodbend Hall (March 26)
17. See a Live owl at Wild Birds Unlimited. We’ve done this – and the kids loved seeing the bird up close and having the chance to ask questions. (March 26)
18. Get Hot dogs and play old school Pacman while you snack on the most delicious chips, at The Dog (There’s a groupon, to help cut the costs of dinner out).
19. Have little kids and need a free way to entertain them? Ours love browsing through Big Al’s, seeing the seahorses and other cool fish they’ve got in-store.
20. Stop by the Library and make a Lego stop motion movie. Have a Lego lover? Don’t forget to sign up at the Lego website for a FREE chance to build a mini model, starting on the 15th for the next month. Get up early, spots go quickly.
21. Get in your likely last chance of the year to make a snow fort with the snowfall we just had to start the month.
22. Visit the Muttart and make it feel like spring with the “Swing into Spring” theme coming up. Our favourite tip? Go for the ‘Naturally Edmonton’ annual pass – if you visit once a month, it pays for itself!
23. Visit the University of Alberta Observatory for a free chance to look at the stars. Visit the website for viewing hours and more.
24. Get outside! Bring the kids on a walk through Borden Park to check out the sculptures, and then make your way over to John Janzen where you can get up close and personal with the hundreds of reflections create with the Ball sculpture. Make a day of it!
25. Spend Easter Monday at the Valley Zoo as Part of HOP TO IT!