Though there is plenty to do with the kids during fall in Edmonton, sometimes you want to skip the crowded festivals. If you’re searching for a fall ‘must do’ activity, head out to one of the local U-pick farms. Try Attracted to Apples, the largest orchard in Alberta, with over 800 trees to pick from – and it’s opening for the season next weekend.
The anticipated opening date for the apple farm is September 7 or 8th, as the season has started late this year – and we can’t wait to explore the orchard during another season!
The varieties of apples at Attracted to Apples include: prairie sensation, 5 of Diamonds, Fall Red, Minnie-the-Mac. Autumn Delight and Festive Treat will be ripe soon. The two earliest apples, Orange Pumpkin and Misty Rose might be too ripe to recommend just yet.
Bringing the kids to pick apples? Use these tips:
- Choose an orchard that has shorter trees, this makes it easier for the kids to get involved. The apples at Attracted to Apples are on shorter trees, making it easy for the kids to help
- Dress in layers – in September, the weather can be warm and cool, so keeping the kids comfortable means they’re going to last longer in the orchard
- Find an orchard that isn’t too far outside of the city
- Bring your own boxes or bags, these are not always available at the orchards
- Bring cash with you, not all local orchards and U-pick farms accept debit or credit, so having cash on hand can help to make the experience easier.
Attracted to Apples is located at 54264 Range Road 213 in Fort Saskatchewan (directions can be found on the website, here).